I must say for the first time in a couple of years the spring/summer movie slate is full of feature films that have me slathering like a mad dog with a rib bone. The golden age of sci-fi, superhero actions movies is upon us this day. The titles below feature movies on my must see spring/summer list. (The listings are not in any particular order.)
- Battle for Los Angeles– An alien invasion tale set in Los Angeles, which is said to resemble Black Hawk Down. When I saw the trailer for this film, my jaw just hit the floor.
- Thor– I was never a fan of Thor in the comics, and I was not mildly interested in the movie version, until I saw the awe inspiring trailer.
- Captain America– Another hero that never got my blood boiling, but his movie trailer documenting his battle with the Nazis in World War II, generated some mighty interest.
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon– I know, I know, many people have not cared anything for the two previous movies in this series, and in fact hated the second one, but I have to admit I have liked them all, even the second one with its admittedly racists stereotypes. I can’t help it though, I love transforming robots and outrageous battle scenes. The trailer they showed for the super bowl has me drooling in anticipation.
- X-Men: First Class– I knew nothing of this film, until I saw the trailer during the super bowl. It grabbed my attention, and it seems it should fit in nicely with the X-Men movie franchise.
- Green Lantern– This is the first movie trailer I saw this year where I can honestly say I was not pleased with the trailer and its seemingly hokey approach to the Green Lantern.
- Sucker Punch– This looks like a wild and crazy film from the guy who created 300. It involves a woman who is sent to an insane asylum, and in her mind she goes on these fantastical adventures, using martial arts, oversize weapons and aircraft, fighting against seemingly World War I German soldiers wearing samurai robot armor. Sounds weird, but that is my kind of flick!
- Super 8– When I first saw this mysterious trailer from J.J. Abrams (Lost & the new Star Trek) I got the impression that it was going to be a sequel of some sort to Cloverfield, but the super bowl trailer revealed that it will be much more. A monster film taking place in the 70’s that had music and scenes reminiscent of E.T. We shall see.
- Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part II– All I can say is bring on the finale to this excellent movie series that was the most successful film series to date that translated so well from book to screen.
- Cowboys & Aliens– A unique style movie that is a western in the vein of some epic John Wayne film, with aliens playing the role of villains. I am not sure what the premise is, but it sure looks sweet!
- I am Number 4– An interesting trailer following a teen with special powers being pursued by alien killers. From what I can understand in the trailer, there are 9 teens on the planet being pursued, but they can only be killed in numerical order. Looks good, so I will check it out.
As you can see my spring/summer movie season is jam packed with sci-fi, action films. Hopefully these movies will pan out and generate the kind of excitement I experienced as a kid with summer movies so long ago.